ANGKOR GOLD CORP ANNOUNCES ITS PARTICIPATION IN THE 2013 ASIAN RESPONSIBLE ENTREPRENEURSHIP AWARD PROGRAM
ANGKOR GOLD CORP. (TSXV: ANK) (“ANGKOR”) is pleased to announce that it has been nominated for an Asia Responsible Entrepreneurship Award (“AREA Award”) for sustainable community development work in the Ratanikiri, Mondulkiri and Pursat provinces of northeast Cambodia.
Angkor’s nomination is for an AREA Award in the Social Empowerment category which honours businesses that promote social programs for women and economically disadvantaged communities. Previous winners in the category include HSBC.
The AREA Awards are organised by Enterprise Asia, an NGO that aims to promote responsible entrepreneurship across the Asia Region.
Angkor published its Sustainable Community Development 2012 Annual Report in March. Angkor’s sustainability work follows the World Bank guidelines for Community Driven Development.
Delayne Weeks, Angkor’s VP Corporate Social Responsibility, commented, “Award programs such as this can help network and encourage responsible entrepreneurship – that’s something we’re keen on. We also hope it will raise awareness of the work we’re doing and the positive benefits it is bringing to the local communities of Cambodia. It is a core part of Angkor’s business strategy: it contributes to our social licence to operate and it’s the right thing to do.
Fair Trade opportunities coupled with micro loans and training can enable local cooperatives to break the poverty cycle and take control of their own futures. We’ll seek as many of these opportunities as possible for the communities in which we work.
We look forward to providing updates over the coming months.”
Some of Angkor Gold’s recent successes include:
- Providing sewing equipment, training and a Fair Trade business agreement to a group of local women so that they could produce sample bags for use in exploration. Angkor uses over 30,000 sample bags annually and would rather source them locally. Angkor hopes to connect the group of women as potential suppliers to other mining companies in Cambodia.
- The appointment of Dr Francis Farraye as a special advisor to help us expand our reach in helping to reduce preventable illnesses and improve general health.
- In Pursat province, Angkor is building a health centre and assisting with clean water solutions.
- Another shipping container of medical supplies destined for Pursat was recently loaded with the help of Hope International (Canada).
- Participation in the Canadian Responsible Investment Conference 2013, Vancouver, June 17-19. The Canadian Responsible Investment Conference is organised by the Social Investment Organization, Canada. For more information, please visit: http://www.socialinvestment.ca/
ANGKOR GOLD CORP. is a public company listed on the TSX-Venture Exchange. It is Cambodia’s premier gold explorer with a significantly large land package and a first-mover advantage with excellent relationships at all levels of Government (local to national). Angkor Gold has five exploration licences covering a total of 1102km2 in the Kingdom of Cambodia. The company has been actively exploring during the past four years, Angkor has now covered all tenements with stream sediment geochemical sampling, has flown low level aeromagnetic surveys over most of the ground, drilled 17,556 metres of NQ core in 143 holes, of which 8,815m in 66 holes were drilled in the 2012 season; and has collected in excess of 20,000 ‘C’ zone soil samples and over 10,000 termite mound samples in 10 centres of interest, over a combined area of 30km2, in addition to numerous trenches and detailed geological field mapping. Exploration on all tenements is ongoing.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
ANGKOR GOLD CORP.
Delayne Weeks, VP Corporate Social Responsibility
Telephone: (780) 831-8722
THIS PRESS RELEASE, REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE CANADIAN LAWS, IS NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION TO U.S. NEWS SERVICES OR FOR DISSEMINATION IN THE UNITED STATES, AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFER TO SELL OR A SOLICITATION OF AN OFFER TO SELL ANY OF THE SECURITIES DESCRIBED HEREIN IN THE UNITED STATES. THESE SECURITIES HAVE NOT BEEN, AND WILL NOT BE, REGISTERED UNDER THE UNITED STATES SECURITIES ACT OF 1933, AS AMENDED, OR ANY STATE SECURITIES LAWS, AND MAY NOT BE OFFERED OR SOLD IN THE UNITED STATES OR TO U.S. PERSONS UNLESS REGISTERED OR EXEMPT THEREFROM